I think that the food is really different in Morocco than in Canada. On almost every menu there are tagines. Tagines are meat with vegetables and sauce boiled in a clay pot. In Chefchaouen, we found a really really good restaurant called Bab Ssour. The kebab in sauce, the tagines, and the couscous with chicken were excellent. We ate there every day when we were in Chefchaouen. In Fes at Café Clock, I ate my first camel burger and it was delicious. During our overland trip, I also tried a kefta which is ground beef shaped like mini burgers cooked on an open grill. The keftas were also very good.
Although we didn’t try the following foods, the markets of Fes and Marrakesh had the following foods on display:
- camel, cow and sheep heads (some with their tongues hanging out)
- live chickens and turkeys
- livers, kidneys, bull testicles, and other organs
- shark heads with grapefruit in their mouth
- lots of flies on the fruit
Overall, the foods that I tried were very good and I enjoyed them. I didn’t want to try the ones that sound disgusting.